[LINK] gps on kids...

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Fri Jan 16 15:34:33 AEDT 2009

Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> However, in a properly FOSS attitude, those who have the devices could
> always capture and publish where they've been ... I'd bet with not much
> effort a good cycleway map would emerge pretty quickly. Just as long as
> you don't let it near the Openstreetmap guys, who (sorry for dumping a
> bucket on a popular project) don't much care about data quality ...
>
> (I often wonder why more people don't put their GPS tracks on the
> Internet. For example, bushwalkers. Once you've been to Mount Sol with a
> GPS, there's no reason not to share the file ...)

Part of bushwalking used to be map reading, land marks and deciding on your
route. It is the paths and landmarks not the route that you want to know about.

I have had a go at "publishing" three walks on Google Maps, which should be
acceessible on hand held (or bicycle mounted) devices.
<http://maps.google.com.au/maps/user?uid=110241308026236585465&hl=en&gl=au>

A GPS enabled device would automatically position the map to where you are.

> BTW, Michael, if you want a bit of a laugh, go to Google Maps - US not
> Australia - and run the search:
>
> from: ballarat to: sydney australia
>
> Take particular note of Step 19 ...
>
> RC
>
> Michael Skeggs mike at bystander.net wrote:
>> What chance the GPS map would show the cycle route? More likely it
>> would direct you to the nearest freeway for the 'quickest' route.
>> Regards,
>> Michael Skeggs

>>> Ditto BUT I cycle in Canberra which has an extensive network of off-
>>> road cyclepaths and footpaths which mainly run through parkland and
>>> very, very little signage. When riding in a new area I sometime find
>>> myself say "where the f**k am I?" and have to diverge from the path
>>> to find a road sign so I can consult a map. A GPS would be nice which
>>> showed me a "you are here" marker . Having to backtrack a few km
>>> because you chose the wrong fork in the path is annoying. Yes there
>>> IS a cyclepath/footpath map but it seems not every little path is
>>> shown clearly.
>>>
>>> Tony
>>>
>>> phone : 02 6241 7659  | mailto:tony at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
>>> mobile: 04 3365 2400  | mailto:tony.barry at alianet.alia.org.au
>>> http://tony-barry.emu.id.au

Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au