[LINK] gps on kids...

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Fri Jan 16 16:30:33 AEDT 2009

Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
> Richard Chirgwin wrote:
>> However, in a properly FOSS attitude, those who have the devices could
>> always capture and publish where they've been ... I'd bet with not much
>> effort a good cycleway map would emerge pretty quickly. Just as long as
>> you don't let it near the Openstreetmap guys, who (sorry for dumping a
>> bucket on a popular project) don't much care about data quality ...
>>
>> (I often wonder why more people don't put their GPS tracks on the
>> Internet. For example, bushwalkers. Once you've been to Mount Sol with a
>> GPS, there's no reason not to share the file ...)
>>

> Part of bushwalking used to be map reading, land marks and deciding on
> your route. It is the paths and landmarks not the route that you want
> to know about.
It still is ... I don't go on anything but trivial walks without a topo
in the bag.

Even so, most people find a topographic map somewhat intimidating,
especially if you've gotten away from where you thought you were... I
wouldn't position any GPS as making map-reading redundant. But it would
be a nice addition to sharing walks. For eg: I could (and probably soon
will) publish GPS tracks of recent walks, identifying places where the
instructions in popular walks books are confusing or incorrect. I just
need to get the little handheld GPS talking to the Linux box...

RC