[LINK] Phone firms told to stop being pests

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Sat Jan 17 09:55:43 AEDT 2009

On 16/01/2009 at 2:18 PM grant at apc.org.au wrote:
> On Fri, January 16, 2009 11:04 am, matthew at sorbs.net wrote:
>> I'd be happy to hear of any sure fire plan to get rid of them for good.
>
> You already have it - put them on hold. Works a charm.
>
> If you're at home, put the phone down and walk away. They soon learn that
> you'll waste their time, blow their stats and get them in trouble.
"They" never learn.  My experience since putting my number on the Do Not
Call Register is that calls stopped - but not permanently.  Calls come
in waves, sometimes two or three in a day, always at lunch or dinner
time.  There'll be a couple of weeks of pure hell, then maybe a month of
blissful peace.

I use an answering machine - with a message telling telemarketers to
never call again - so I don't know who's making the calls, just that the
phone rings enough to be a bother.  One type of call has stopped
completely: auto-dialled recordings, where their robot talks to my robot
so I end up with a message consisting of the last part of a recorded
sales pitch.

I heartily wish I knew the location of the soulless devil-spawn
responsible for invading my home.  I'd happily organise delivery of an
appropriately powerful nuke.

--
David Boxall                    |  All that is required