[LINK] ICT Predictions 2009 - little OT (gov't reports example)

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Jan 19 08:04:49 AEDT 2009

At 10:32 AM 13/01/2009, Anthony Hornby wrote (about government
agencies sending copies of reports to libraries):
>I think they are  required to ... not that this means we always get them ...
>http://www.finance.gov.au/e-government/service-improvement-and-delivery/publishing-information/lds.html

I couldn't find anything in the Commonwealth Library Deposit and Free
Issue Schemes (LDS) to say that the publications had to be provided
on paper. It should be acceptable for the agencies to supply
electronic copies of documents.

>Problem is government agencies merge and change names constantly so
>basic web links would likely break fairly quickly. ...

I assumed that NLA would keep electronic copies of government
reports, especially if there are no paper copies.

> > Agencies could help the process by improving the quality of their reports,
> > making them easy and efficient to read online ...
>
>Seems perfectly reasonable to provide layout and presentation
>appropriate for the medium.....

Unfortunately, providing access to information does not seem to be a
priority for most agencies. The emphasis seems to be on having an
impressive looking printed report, even though that is of little
practical value.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Australian National University