[LINK] accessibility law suit

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Mon Jan 19 18:21:43 AEDT 2009

Virgin Blue in court over website

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/virgin-blue-in-court-over-website-20090119-7kc1.html

Melissa Singer

January 19, 2009 - 12:13PM

A Brisbane man is taking budget airline Virgin Blue to court over
claims its website unfairly discriminates against people with visual
impairments.

Les Kerr, 53, has been visually impaired since contracting an
"aggressive glaucoma" about three years ago. He also has suffered a
loss of mobility in his fingers through an unrelated illness.

Mr Kerr, of Wooloowin, said he had logged on to more than 30,000
websites to test their accessibility for people with vision impairments.

He said Virgin Blue's website, with its use of light grey on a white
background and difficulty in enlarging the text without distorting
the page, was especially difficult for him to use.

"Most websites, if they are not coded properly, you can't enlarge
them," he said.

Mr Kerr said "99 per cent" of other websites he checked also posed
problems for visually-impaired people.
[snip]

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

~Madeline L'Engle, writer

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007