[LINK] ICT Predictions 2009 - little OT (gov't reports example)

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue Jan 20 12:19:39 AEDT 2009

At 08:24 AM 19/01/2009, Stilgherrian wrote:
>On 19/01/2009, at 8:04 AM, Tom Worthington wrote:
> > Unfortunately, providing access to information does not seem to be a
> > priority for most agencies. ...
>
>Oh, but the impressive annual report ... will be distributed to all
>MPs. ... don't use computers ...

MPs may not sit down reading web pages at a computer, but many have
smart phones. The agencies could provide the reports in a format
suitable for a Blackberry. We can tell them this has been specially
prepared for MPs. We don't need to tell them that this is just the
same accessible version of the web pages which everyone else gets,
with an extra cascading style sheet for a small screen. ;-)

I am currently restructuring the ANU course where we teach web design
to the computer science and commerce students
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2009/01/my-first-blended-course.html>.
Previously I have got them to convert web pages into smart phone
format. Perhaps this time we will do it for government reports.
Perviously I got them to minimise the number of kbytes the web pages
used. This time I can ask them to calculate the CO2 emissions from
the web page.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Australian National University