[LINK] The White House IT -- a joke!

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Fri Jan 23 10:07:54 AEDT 2009

On 23/01/2009, at 9:57 AM, fcassia wrote:
> If forced to use Windows, I'd take a copy of "old" XP64 -or Windows
> 2000 for that matter if using an old underpowered system- over the
> latest greatest Vista and Win7 fatware, any time.

I get where you're coming from, but these days Windows 2000 would be A
Very Bad Move. Since it's past end-of-life, it contains unpatched
vulnerabilities -- especially in HTML-handling code in email clients
and web browsers. Not the sort of security flaw I'd want in MY White
House.

[Everyone please now insert your standards rants about how Linux and
OS X are "more secure" than Windows, or your standard rant of
rebuttal, depending upon your allegiances. Platform wars are tedious.
Real security is about people and process, not fetish-objects and
slogans.]

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia