[LINK] The White House IT -- a joke!

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Fri Jan 23 10:38:34 AEDT 2009

On 23/01/2009, at 10:14 AM, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
> While your comments on social issues of ICT may be informed. You
> should not comment on Linux.

I don't like the "should" word there. I'll continue to feel free to
comment on anything I damn well like. :) And continue to be shot down
in flames if I say something stupid or wrong.

For my part I maintain Windows, Linux and OS X... and prefer Linux for
servers (though have to deal with Windows servers for clients) and OS
X for my laptop. I've been working with Linux since some ancient
Slackware installer. I reckon they're all tools for jobs.

> The point about Linux is that you don't spend your life installing
> security patches.
>
> For my part, I upgraded from Windows 95 to Linux!

And all kinds of Windows since (from memory) Server 2003 and XP SP2
also automatically install their security patches. Both can fail to do
so, of course, and both can leave the system vulnerable if a competent
systems administrator doesn't notice that the patches have stopped
happening. The difference is...?

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia