[LINK] The White House IT -- a joke!

David Lochrin dlochrin at d2.net.au
Fri Jan 23 11:03:20 AEDT 2009

On Friday 23 January 2009 10:38, Stilgherrian wrote:
> And all kinds of Windows since (from memory) Server 2003
> and XP SP2 also automatically install their security patches.

...and audit your system while they're at it, or they certainly used to do so.  One of the things I intensely dislike about MS Windows is the way Microsoft apparently feel they have some right to get in there and fiddle with your system;  it was no longer possible to manually manage updates last time I tried to do so some years ago (unless, perhaps, in a corporate environment?).  There are many stories of things not working after such "updates".

> Both can fail to do so, of course, and both can leave the
> system vulnerable if a competent systems administrator
> doesn't notice that the patches have stopped happening.
> The difference is...?

I received a CERT notification three days ago:
   Technical Cyber Security Alert TA09-020A
   Microsoft Windows Does Not Disable AutoRun Properly
   Original release date: January 20, 2009
   Last revised: --
   Source: US-CERT

David