[LINK] How Obama Will Use Web Technology

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Mon Jan 26 08:01:03 AEDT 2009

On 26/01/2009, at 12:13 AM, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
> "Here's a small and nerdy measure of the huge change in the executive
> branch of the US government .. Here's the (Bush) robots.txt file from
> the www.whitehouse.gov website this week:

> Disallow: /cgi-bin
> Disallow: /search
> Disallow: /query.html
> Disallow: /omb/search
> Disallow: /omb/query.html
> Disallow: /expectmore/search
> Disallow: /expectmore/query.html
> Disallow: /results/search
> Disallow: /results/query.html
> Disallow: /earmarks/search
> Disallow: /earmarks/query.html
> Disallow: /help
> Disallow: /360pics/text
> Disallow: /911/911day/text
> Disallow: /911/heroes/text

That fragment doesn't seem to be particularly limiting to me. Nearly
all of it is just sensible optimisation for search. You want to
deliver people to actual content, not search scripts or query forms or
help pages, so you exclude them from search indexing -- just like this.

The only one which is a possible question-mark is the set of URLs
ending in "text". I'm guessing they're the text-only versions of
individual pages, or perhaps the textual content of pages before
they're wrapped in whatever template with navigation etc before being
delivered to the user. While there's a possibility this is a bad thing
because if prevents people seeing low-bandwidth versions of pages (if
that's indeed what they are), possibly it's actually a good thing
because you're only giving them pages with their full navigational
context, not just a bunch of raw txt detached from the rest of the site.

Nothing here indicates a change in the executive branch's mindset,
just a routine change in the structure of the website. And if this
came from kottke.org then Kottke ought to know better.

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia