[LINK] How Obama Will Use Web Technology

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Mon Jan 26 09:32:39 AEDT 2009

Stilgherrian wrote:
> On 26/01/2009, at 12:13 AM, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
>> "Here's a small and nerdy measure of the huge change in the executive
>> branch of the US government .. Here's the (Bush) robots.txt file from
>> the www.whitehouse.gov website this week:

<snip>
> Nothing here indicates a change in the executive branch's mindset,
> just a routine change in the structure of the website. And if this
> came from kottke.org then Kottke ought to know better.

To be fair, we are now in a different web era - there is wider access to
content. The whitehouse also has the challenge of balancing feeding the media
and talking to the population themselves. Just scanning through  Obama : from
promise to power / David Mendell  - it sees that Obama isn't a fan of the media
but recognises the role they play in helping him communicate with more people
than he can personally (through rallies etc). So, ofcourse he is not going to
ignore the Internet.

Another aspect not to be ignored is the International press, what was
interesting while waiting for the SBS "Coverage of Obama" was watching if not
comprehending the coverage in the non-english news bulletins.

...and then there are the bloggers.

According to netcraft - they are using Linux with Apache and  Microsoft-IIS/6.0!
<http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?mode_u=off&mode_w=on&site=www.whitehouse.gov>

The "blog" looks informative though as far as I can tell, they haven't got their
RSS feed on full operational status
<http://www.whitehouse.gov/feed/blog>

Marghanita
--