[LINK] Environment department used 30 sheets of paper per person per day

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Wed Jan 28 15:10:43 AEDT 2009

On 28/01/2009, at 2:48 PM, Rick Welykochy wrote:

> One thing that obviates the need to print reams and reams of paper
> in this century is the emergence of high res screens on laptops.
> Works for me, although I wouldn't want to read an entire book that
> way.

I've just purchased a Joseph Conrad collection of novels and novellas
for my phone. For the price ($2.49), I shall experiment with a
different kind of book reading process.

The reading process is via a teleprompt-style front-end: tilt the
phone to read faster, tilt back to read more slowly, and swipe to move
forward or back. There are no 'pages' as such, since it relies on
interface to dictate how much the reader can view (all user-
adjustable). Granted, it's not on a hi-res laptop screen, but
nonetheless it shall prove to be an interesting experience. I'd be
keen to hear what others think of this approach, too.

> ...the Department of Foreign Affairs and
> Trade offers an online passport renewal service. Works a treat.
> Identify yourself and submit renewal application. They will then
> snail mail a completed form. All you do is sign it and take it to
> the post office. New passport arrives at your doorstep within weeks.
> One little piece of paper, no printer, no faxing, no fuss at my end.

Apart from the irony of ending up with a paper product (!), I wonder
if the process could be streamlined further, with no snail-mail
requirement, and no ink-on-paper signature on a form.

iT

--
Ivan Trundle
http://itrundle.com ivan at itrundle.com
ph: +61 (0)418 244 259 fx: +61 (0)2 6286 8742 skype: callto://ivanovitchk