[LINK] Netbooks

Pilcher, Fred Fred.Pilcher at act.gov.au
Thu Jan 29 08:56:27 AEDT 2009

Stephen quoted:

> Retailers say the growth has been driven in part by
> cash-strapped parents seeking to equip their children with
> simple, low-powered computers for doing homework before the
> new school year, which for state schools began today.

> In fact, the lack of grunt might be beneficial in a school
> context because an inability to play games, watch DVDs or
> even stream YouTube videos smoothly means children have no
> choice but to concentrate on work.

I'm curious about the "low-powered" meme. I know that my Eee 901 isn't
as powerful in terms of raw grunt as my dual core laptop with a couple
of GB of RAM, but it runs the Compiz cube and other effects smoothly,
plays video and TV perfectly (though sometimes it has a minor hiccup
with HDTV signals), does complex photo manipulations using Digikam
perfectly well, etc. Games? OK - probably not the latest and greatest,
but "inability to play games, watch DVDs or even stream YouTube videos
smoothly" is absolute balderdash.

Fred