[LINK] US porn 'scandal'

Michael Skeggs mike@bystander.net mskeggs at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 11:06:37 AEDT 2009

2009/1/30 David Boxall <david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au>:
<snip>

> There are no absolutes.

A lot of the posts on Link do not pertain to my role directly, and I
get an amount of pleasure from reading them, even at work.
Some posts relate very directly to my work, and help me do my job better.
Is this list work or recreation?
As a general rule, my work is project based, and I work at it both
during business hours and outside those. I take responsibility for the
results and meeting deadlines, and I would be disappointed if my
employer took an approach that restricted my recreation during "work
time" if my performance was otherwise satisfactory.
I was annoyed when a new proxy filter at work blocked access to
Centrebet last Melbourne Cup day. Instead of 3 mins on the web site to
back my horse I had to go around the corner to the TAB and wait in the
queue.
I don't think pornography has a place in the workplace, and I don't
expect my employer to sponsor my web surfing, but I would hesitate to
work for an employer that said:
"Employees should not be indulging in recreational activities...on company time"

Regards,
Michael Skeggs