[LINK] MS strikes again

Danny Yee danny at anatomy.usyd.edu.au
Thu Jul 2 09:51:51 AEST 2009

I agree with Brenda in that it's easy to screw up updates on Linux
(dependcies sometimes break) or OS X (needs human intervention to
sign license agreements).

I disagree, however, with the common argument that Windows gets more
malware attacks only because it is more widespread.  Macs are already
10% or so of desktop machines (and are used by a disproportionate
fraction of "high value" users) and Linux may only be on 1% of desktops
but is on a very large proportion of servers, which are "higher value"
targets than desktops.  But I've seen no signs of increasing malware
vulnerabilities there.

Danny.