[LINK] Australia’s Digital Economy : Future Di rections

Frank O'Connor foconnor at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jul 7 16:13:32 AEST 2009

And I suppose these clowns think they are part of the Digital Economy.

A few things you can always rely on with government e-initiatives:

1. They will be so far behind everyone else's game plan that they are
positively antiquated. (One could be kind and call them 'quaint' but
I'm not feeling especially charitable.)

2. They will attempt to reinvent the wheel and impose their own
(depressingly low and non-open) standards. If it can be done using
proprietary standards it will be done using the most inappropriate,
expensive, proprietary standards.

3. They will cost the earth and support whole new levels of
bureaucracy in our public service.

4. They will adopt security standards and processes which will
essentially make them unusable.

5. They will mirror, rather than reinvent or improve, existing public
service processes.

6. They will have an implementation timetable for a mega-system which
will be available in 5 to 10 years ... when it will be essentially
obsolete. (They seem to be incapable of cheap, incremental
development and implementation which is the rule elsewhere on the Web)

7. They will 'go it alone' rather than integrating with existing
services on the Web.

8. They won't be integrated across departments and bureaucratic fiefs
- so users will be forced to contact multiple sites and conduct
multiple transactions to get what should be a single transaction done.

9. They won't offer credit card and other services that merchants
routinely offer ... because paying anything to third parties for
services is for some reason verboten in government ... so all
transactions will also involve snail mail and cheques.

10. Whatever Grand Plan they eventually come up with will be another
monumental and expensive failure ... but hey, Joe Public is paying
for it ... so who cares?

The depths of my level of cynicism for government initiatives (Web 2,
NBN, filtering, digital economy or whatever) have yet to be plumbed.
In my experience they are fundamentally incapable of getting anything
Internet-wise right.

					Regards,