[LINK] DNS outage?

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Tue Jul 28 07:04:45 AEST 2009

James Collins wrote:

> Security means that you can't directly ping 203.37.213.145, it
> throws the
> request away.
>
> However, you should be able to traceroute as far as
> FastEthernet0-0.cha24.Brisbane.telstra.net

Ah, yes, I'm glad someone pointed that out.

It's been a long time since the Internet was as simple as domain names
mapping onto individual IP addresses which are individual, pingable
machines. And a long time since big organisations routinely allowed
you to ping machines inside their security perimeter, like their web
server. And, indeed, a long time since "the web server" was actually
that, rather than a set of virtual mappings to distributed Akamai or
Amazon S3 servers.

A question, though...

When "something is wrong with the Internet", who do people feel the
need to play amateur network engineer and troubleshoot it themselves?
Particularly when they're not in a position to actually DO anything
about it? Is it that difficult to accept that something's not working,
and then move on to something else?

Me, I just use http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ to see whether
it IS me or a general outage, then go and do something else until the
humans actually responsible for that bit of the Internet get it fixed.

[shrugs]

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia