[LINK] DNS outage?

Glen Turner gdt at gdt.id.au
Tue Jul 28 10:48:47 AEST 2009

On 28/07/09 06:34, Stilgherrian wrote:

> When "something is wrong with the Internet", who do people feel the
> need to play amateur network engineer and troubleshoot it themselves?
> Particularly when they're not in a position to actually DO anything
> about it? Is it that difficult to accept that something's not working,
> and then move on to something else?

I suspect it's because the major ISPs (both in the US and Australia) release
outage information only under NDA.  Even then the amount of disclosure about
the cause of the fault is disappointingly small.  [1]

This leaves no choice for the average user who wants some basic information about
the nature and cause of the fault (so they can answer reasonable questions like
"will it happen again"?) no choice but to play network engineer.

   [1] I'm pleased to say this isn't the case for my employer.

--
  Glen Turner