[LINK] naked dsl

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Tue Mar 3 07:01:34 AEDT 2009

While I realise the challenge of explaining tech to dumb punters,
newspaper journos can simplify things too much ...

> Optus today joins iiNet and several smaller telcos in offering "naked
> DSL" packages that allow people to connect to ADSL broadband without
> paying for a fixed line.
The difficulty Asher - and lots of people - is having here is
distinguishing between the copper and the services delivered thereon.
You don't get rid of the copper - of course, but you'd be surprised what
people believe - and in that sense you don't get rid of Telstra. Your
copper no longer terminates to a Telstra telephone switch, only to the
iiNet DSLAM.

So there's still a 'fixed line' but there's not a 'fixed line telephone'
attached to it. And Telstra still owns the CAN, so it's responsible for
CAN maintenance. I wonder where that fits in terms of USO regulatory
requirements...

RC