[LINK] naked dsl

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Tue Mar 3 09:20:30 AEDT 2009

Richard writes,

> The difficulty Asher - and lots of people - is having here is
> distinguishing between the copper and the services delivered thereon.

Yes, very true, Asher explains it quite well here in a previous article

"But it's not dead: it's just a "naked" or bare bones copper line without
any services loaded onto it. Naked DSL can be activated on a "dead" phone
socket without a technician making a house call. .. There's still a small
line rental cost attached to nDSL plans - it's just rolled into the
overall plan and paid direct to your internet service provider rather
than Telstra.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/connectivity/wireless--
broadband/time-to-get-your-gear-off/2008/05/17/1210765251769.html

> Telstra still owns the CAN, so it's responsible for CAN maintenance.
>
> I wonder where that fits in terms of USO regulatory requirements. RC

Yes and bear with me here .. my point is that if, in future, many/most
lines are used for ADSL with no phone service (as Asher suggests) then
with the multiplicity of providers, and Telstra only a small player in
our home market (Sol's plan was to take them up-market, business class)
one cant imagine them very keen to fix lines they don't make any money
from, eg, in the country, where they may have very few customers. Yes?

One can well imagine Telstra trying to duck line-maintenance in future.

So i say again ... i hope our gov has got line maintenance bolted down?

Anyone know?

> stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
>
> > Question,with naked-dsl looking to maybe be the norm for fixed-phone
> > lines, i hope our gov has got maintenance of these lines bolted down.
> >
> > can't imagine TinyCo ISP jumping out of bed to fix fire damaged line.
> >

> > Asher Moses March 2, 2009 - 8:00AM
> >
> > http://www.theage.com.au/news/technology/biztech/last-rites-for-the-
> > landline-as-optus-joins-the-naked-dsl-
> > brigade/2009/03/02/1235237909055.html
> >

> > Optus today joins iiNet and several smaller telcos in offering "naked
> > DSL" packages that allow people to connect to ADSL broadband without
> > paying for a fixed line.
> >
> > With mobile plans now offering hundreds of dollars worth of calls for
> > less than $50 and some tech-savvy Australians making calls over their
> > internet connections, the need for a landline has reduced
dramatically.

> > IDC telco analyst Jason Leung said there was evidence Australians
were
> > moving away from landlines for their voice communications.
> >
> > "Telstra's recent results showed significant declines in local,
national
> > and international voice revenues and minutes," he said.
> >
> > "There has also been a consistent decline in PSTN [landline] services
in
> > operation over the last three years."
> >
> > Cable and wireless broadband have never required a phone line but for
> > those on ADSL broadband plans, a landline was necessary until
November