[LINK] naked dsl

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Tue Mar 3 10:12:41 AEDT 2009

At 09:50 AM 3/03/2009, Ivan Trundle wrote:
>>Well, since the
>>customer is then the ISP, maybe there is more clout than the
>>individual home customer would have anyway.
>
>No, the customer isn't the ISP. The customer is buying a service from
>an ISP, who is buying the line from either Telstra or Optus (not sure
>if there are any other line providers - Linkers will know).

Well, yes, the ISP is the customer of Telstra or whatever copper
network owner they have their deal with. Do we have more than one? I
don't think so. They pay Telstra for the copper access, not the end
customer. Therefore the end customer would have no clout at all to
get something fixed since they have no direct contractual
relationship. It's a B to B customer relationship between the ISP
ADSL provider and Telstra.

Seems to parallel the reseller method with mobiles. I have no direct
relationship with Optus even though that is the carrier for my Virgin
Mobile phone.

Is there something I'm missing in the above?

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/