[LINK] Telstra to do SMS message

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Tue Mar 3 10:30:47 AEDT 2009

At 10:17 AM 3/03/2009, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>The point of the SMS seemed to be to tell people to tune into ABC
>Radio, by way
>of preparation. In the event of an emergency being declared - this
>is he emergency
>channel (there may even be/useful to have provisions for all
>stations to take the
>same feed) for communication.

There was a caller on morning radio complaining that he got the
message, missed a major work day to go to his house in Jamieson and
found nothing there to be worried about. I sort of scratched my head
at that, but he repeated at least five times that he had never
received such an alert before and took it quite seriously. It was
interpreted as a 'cry wolf' situation and he wasn't at all happy about it.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/