[LINK] technical question: security alert

Andy Farkas chuzzwassa at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 21:49:10 AEDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 11:16 +1000, Lea de Groot wrote:

> > I believe the Destination
> > is my IP because I looked it up and it's one of the Internode ones.
>
> You can check what your own personal IP is at:
> http://www.whatsmyip.com.au/
> (Disclaimer: mine)
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

¨So, remember - when you want to know “how can I find out what my IP
address is”, whatsmyip.com.au is the quickest way to find out.¨

I strongly disagree. When I clicked on the URL, I waited at least 15
seconds for it to load all the crap that was irrelevant to my IP
address, including fetching pages from four different domain names that
have nothing to do with IP addresses: gapingvoid.com, technorati.com,
geo.digitalpoint.com, and googlesyndication.com.

When I click on http://www.whatismyip.com.au/ I get a result in under 2
seconds. Without any other crap.

-andyf

ps. I am on dialup. Slow web pages annoy me.