[LINK] technical question: security alert

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Thu Mar 5 16:50:54 AEDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Kim Holburn <kim at holburn.net> wrote:

> > Most ISPs using transparent proxies also do "IP Spoofing" so that the
> > packets hitting the website will appear to come from your IP address
> > (ie,
> > that of your NAT/ADSL link/etc) even though they actually don't.
>
> I really doubt that ISPs that have transparent proxies would do this.

I hope they have such systems - otherwise I have no idea what I've spent the
past few years implementing :)

If they did the return packets from the web-site would go straight to
> the client and not go through the proxy unless they caught them
> somehow.

"somehow" is generally WCCP - the Web Cache Coordination Protocol (or Web
Cache Communication Protocol, depending on who you believe).  It the same
protocol which handles the interception of the outgoing packets (those going
_to_ port 80 which were previously headed towards the real website) and
redirects them towards proxy.  On the return it just intercepts the incoming
packets (those coming _from_ port 80 and headed towards the client) and also
redirects them to the proxy.

It can make network design tricky, and it's a pain to troubleshoot if
something goes wrong, but once it's working it's generally fairly smooth,
and very transparent to both the users and the target website.

  Scott.