[LINK] OFF TOPIC: School uniforms

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Tue Mar 10 22:04:28 AEDT 2009

At 21:33 +1100 10/3/09, Karl Auer wrote:
>Just thought I'd ask this well known band of free thinkers if they have
>any pointers to the *legal* basis (or lack of it) for the compulsory
>wearing of school uniforms in NSW.
>I.e., not hearsay, wishful thinking or bush lawyer utterances :-)

I didn't pass the 5-minute test.

Using AustLII, I'm not sure how to get rid of Uniform Code, and the
use of 'uniform' as an adjective.

There's a US document here:
http://eric.uoregon.edu/publications/policy_reports/dress_codes/statebystate.html

This is vague:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_uniform#Australia

This is a little more helpful, in relation to Vic:
http://www.rurallaw.org.au/handbook/xml/ch09s06s07.php

There seems to have been an inquiry down there recently:
https://www.liv.asn.au/members/sections/submissions/20070605_44/index.html

In NSW, the 1999 phase seems to have fizzled out:
http://www.rag.org.au/school/sm171.htm

Here are 2004 *Guidelines*:
http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/media/downloads/schoolsweb/studentsupport/studentwellbeing/schuniforms.pdf

If no legal authority is quoted, it's probably on dodgy ground, and
no-one wants to go there.  ('Don't question authority.  It doesn't
know either').

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong