[LINK] OFF TOPIC: School uniforms

Michael Skeggs mike@bystander.net mskeggs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 22:06:05 AEDT 2009

My understanding is school uniforms are not, and can not be compulsory
in public schools, although OH&S issues can require a certain type of
clothing, e.g. brimmed hats to play in the sun. That said, the message
is very strongly sent that uniforms are de rigeur.
If you are violently opposed to uniforms, I would suggest a quiet word
to the principal suggesting it would be a struggle to afford a
dedicated set of clothes, rather than tackling it as a human rights
issue, if outcomes rather than process is your goal.
Do not overlook the community benefits of a uniform in forming opinions, either.
In a school environment there is pressure to wear the "right" clothes,
often meaning certain brands and labels e.g. Nike sneakers.
A uniform eliminates this as an issue for those kids who can't be the
fashion ponies.Kids from limited financial means have enough trouble
without having to keep up with costly fashions.
Private schools can do as they wish, and will typically mandate a
uniform, but in my experience can assist with items from 'lost
property' or putting you in touch with sympathetic families whose kids
have outgrown items.
Regards,
Michael Skeggs