[LINK] Optus signup form - Popes need not apply

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Wed Mar 11 06:56:27 AEDT 2009

On 10/03/2009, at 11:15 PM, Ash Nallawalla wrote:
> https://my.optus.com.au/servicecentre/register/start/index.jsf
>
> Someone at Optus is having a lend of us, I think. What do you make
> of the
> random titles Optus has chosen - some religious ones, some military
> ones,
> one called "The" (wonder that that is)? RAAFies and Popes need not
> apply?

"Maj" but no "Gen"? Gosh.

I have a theory about the "The" as a title. Some years ago, someone
with an even sillier concept of naming than me changed his name to
"Mouse" -- just a single given name with no surname. He complained
when people insisted on a compulsory "Title" field in their database,
saying that "Mr Mouse" would be "silly". His "solution" was to insist
on the title "The".

Mind you, ALL of the titles are a rather quaint piece of Victoriana, no?

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia