[LINK] OFF TOPIC: School uniforms

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch dassa at dhs.org
Wed Mar 11 18:39:10 AEDT 2009

link-bounces at mailman1.anu.edu.au wrote:
|| On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 08:18 +1100, Darryl (Dassa) Lynch wrote:
||| http://www.nswtf.org.au/campaigns/law/resources/discipline.html
||| It specifically states the discipline code will address standards of
||| dress etc.
|| Thanks - that's getting closer. However it doesn't mention
|| uniforms, and "standards of dress" is quite different to
|| "specific dress". For example, it is reasonable to stipulate
|| safe clothing (e.g. sunsafe), decent clothing, (for example,
|| no rude t-shirts) and appropriate clothing (e.g., sporting
|| uniforms, or warm clothing in winter).
|| I found an interesting document from the Queensland
|| Ombudsman that quite neatly demolished any link between
|| "standards" and "uniforms" - the general arguments apply
|| universally of course, but there may be State legislation
|| covering uniforms (not that I can find it).
|| I still can't quite find a link to *uniform* clothing.
|| The interesting thing is that it doesn't seem to have been
|| tested. Which is either testament to the fact that there
|| *is* legislation, or testament to the sensibleness of
|| Australian schools and parents.

One of the reasons information is hard to come by is the fact the standard
of dress is set at each school by the community and the principal, reference
first link I sent in.  The standard of dress can be simple such as stating
clean and tidy casual clothing to something more complex which specifies
each and every bit of kit for a uniform.  The Principal needs to get
community acceptance (who knows what criteria has to be met for that) and
can then write it up in the discipline code and it is then backed by the
Education Act.  I don't know how often the discipline code has to be
reviewed but that is most likely just rubber stamping at most schools.

Let's face it, if the community has had some input into the development of
the code in the first place there is very unlikely to be any challenges
except from newcomers and they may well find themselves up against the whole
community let alone the school management.  Rather daunting I would
consider.

I did go looking into legislation on workplace dress standards at one time
but information there is even more confusing.  I do believe it is mostly
left up to people to work out on their own.

Good luck :)

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch