[LINK] Ubuntu

Martin Barry marty at supine.com
Fri Mar 13 09:24:59 AEDT 2009

$quoted_author = "stephen at melbpc.org.au" ;

> There is one exception. Modems. Ubuntu probably sensibly, does not
> like modems, has no modem drivers .. & it's rather a effort to get
> one working with Ubuntu. But then, this probably lessens spam over
> the world, so it's no big deal imho. But otherwise, the DVD distro
> from my local computer shop does everything Windows does, and more.

Linux (and in turn Ubuntu) handle old style external modems just fine. It's
just another serial interface and everything "just works".

The issue is so called "win-modems" where they save money on the hardware by
implementing functionality in software. Therefore, without the right driver
and firmware, they are effectively useless.

Very few of these provide Linux drivers and very few have been reverse
engineered to get an open source driver working.

cheers
Marty