[LINK] BPL

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 20:50:29 AEDT 2009

On 2009/Mar/15, at 4:24 AM, David Boxall wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 at 21:06:14 +1100 Robin Whittle wrote:
>> Broadband over Power Lines (AKA PLC - Power Line Communications) is
>> a load of crap.
> Robin, do you mind not getting your facts in the way of people's
> beliefs? It's very upsetting.
>
> OK, so we can't use the lines. What about the poles?

Ugly.  You could.  When Telstra put in new copper in our suburb a few
years ago, they used the new direction controlled drills.  It didn't
take them very long at all.  (Maybe they were stung into action by the
sudden appearance of Transact.)  There are lots of options.

BTW I don't understand why I can't get fibre to my home.  Is
termination that expensive?  Try getting anything like the bandwidth
of fibre through any other medium.  Through the air?  Through power
lines?  I don't think so.  In Japan you could get 100Mb to the home 5
years ago.   Who knows what it is now.  You can't do that with shared
lines or transmission lines which radiate energy.  Not in a city.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant