[LINK] Happy 20th Birthday WWW

Carl Makin carl at stagecraft.cx
Sun Mar 15 21:12:59 AEDT 2009

On 14/03/2009, at 10:24 AM, Tom Koltai wrote:

> Development of Mosaic began in December 1992. Version 1.0 was released
> on April 22, 1993, followed by two maintenance releases during summer
> 1993. A port of Mosaic to the Commodore Amiga was available by October
> 1993. Version 2.0 of NCSA Mosaic was released in December 1993, along
> with version 1.0 releases for both the Apple Macintosh and Microsoft
> Windows. An Acorn Archimedes port was underway in May 1994.

V1 on the Mac (MacMosaic) didn't support forms.  Version 2 did but was
available for X-windows (unix) only.  That was the big selling point
of Netscape when it came out.  Those of us not running SunOS could
finally fill out forms.

I had a slip account at the ANU in 93/94 and was using it to demo the
"World Wide Web" to anyone who would listen where I worked in the
systems admin area at the Department of Health.  Unfortunately
management had decided that the future was GOSIP and this Internet
thing was a fad so they were only interested in X.400 messaging using
Telecom's Telememo service via Austpac (X.25) at $0.60/page received.

Carl.