[LINK] Australian ISP Peering

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Wed Mar 18 03:27:33 AEDT 2009

On 18/03/2009, at 12:18 AM, Michael Skeggs mike at bystander.net wrote:
> In Oz, Optus, Connect (now AAPT) and OzEmail (now IInet) set down the
> first local peering agreement, and to my knowledge it still operates.
> If you are a small ISP with minimal local data traffic, I suspect the
> barrier to peering is that the big four peer on Gigabit pipes, and
> your 1.5mbps is inconsequential. I do wonder where operators like
> Webcentral fit though.

This may be a dumb question... and I do know what a contention ratio
is, i.e. that bandwidth is over-sold to customers because no one
customer's going to be using all of it all of the time... but...

Surely when individual customers like me have 13Mbit/sec pipes, even a
"small ISP" is going to have something a tad more substantial than
1.5Mbit?

Is the number cited just meant to be indicative of the relative
values? Is it "old memories" and it's really something different in
2009? Or am I missing something?

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia