[LINK] How filters work (was Re: Possible Letter to Conroy (the

Leah Manta link at fly.to
Sat Mar 21 21:41:06 AEDT 2009

At 05:56 21/03/2009, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
>Stil comments on,
>
> >> Eg, "(The filter) will apparently be a dedicated box rather than
> >> simply filtering software. [snip] Also, if everything has to pass
> >> through a single box, and that box gets attacked and goes down, you
> >> can kiss your connection goodbye .."
>
>Thanks, Stil .. your interesting and informative reply is appreciated.
>
>The above quote, regarding our government supplying a 'sealed' filter
>box, rather than just a software filter, is a direct quote from the UK
>Inquirer, apparently quoting:  www.banthisurl.com

The 'One Box' is being installed in the UK presuming legislation
passes in the near future.  The objective of the Boxes is not only to
filter, but to LOG all traffic of interest.  Kinda like Echelon does
for RF and Telephone services presently.  Of course I can't see why
Echelon can't just record in the same broadband format all the IP
traffic, but then I guess Echelon doesn't filter too!

Incidentally, in the UK, filtering is very much in place on most
networks.  I find it amusing that many popular adult sites are
blocked with a web page saying "This site is blocked for your
protection, you need to verify your age to access this site."

Yet, less popular sites with the word 'sex' in the domain name are
completely accessible.

Go figure!

Anyway, nothing a $5 a month Tunnel account or using an Anonymous
proxy server can't fix in an instant!