[LINK] National Emergency Alert System (was ABC Mobile Web Site Failed Accessibility Test

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Tue Mar 24 10:51:32 AEDT 2009

Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
> Tom Worthington wrote:
>> At 04:44 PM 22/03/2009, George Bray wrote:
>>> ... Since when is it the ABC's job to provide a national emergency alert
>>> system?  ...
>> As far as I can see, there is no legislation specifically requiring
>> the ABC to provide emergency warnings (there is for commercial
>> broadcasters), but they did volunteer for the job and the Minister
>> can direct them to do it.
>>

> I think it is the preparedness/training/direction that may have been lacking.
> Building Evacuations are practiced and firewardens have training.
>
> The ABC's approach seems to be more emphasis on News rather than emergency
> information.

Marghanita,

At least in my experience, that's not wholly the case. Should alerts be
provided, they are given (as you suggest below) more or less verbatim.

Mostly, of course, these are mundane and might not even impinge on
peoples' day-to-day thinking, but it's quite often that the ABC
announcers will give storm warnings, hail warnings etc at the first
opportunity.

> What is needed is "emergency bulletins" to be issued by the appropriate agency
> and read/transmitted verbatim by the ABC and other stations,
> in conjunction with community alarms which should prompt people
> to tune into the radio/check websites: Perhaps a special homepage/message
> should be displayed across relevant government and other websites.

OK, so the "community alarm" aspect is lacking (not the ABC's
responsibility). But lots of the commentary about the ABC's role, and
what it does, makes me wonder if it's not more a reflection of listening
to 702 in Sydney when the emergency is in Victoria.

RC