[LINK] National Emergency Alert System (was ABC Mobile Web Site Failed Accessibility Test

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Tue Mar 24 11:17:40 AEDT 2009

Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>> Tom Worthington wrote:
<snip>

>> What is needed is "emergency bulletins" to be issued by the appropriate agency
>> and read/transmitted verbatim by the ABC and other stations,
>> in conjunction with community alarms which should prompt people
>> to tune into the radio/check websites: Perhaps a special homepage/message
>> should be displayed across relevant government and other websites.
>
> OK, so the "community alarm" aspect is lacking (not the ABC's
> responsibility). But lots of the commentary about the ABC's role, and
> what it does, makes me wonder if it's not more a reflection of listening
> to 702 in Sydney when the emergency is in Victoria.

<snip>

No, my comments are not based on listening to any radio stations during the
recent emergency, and rarely if ever to 702 at other times. They were based on
the ABC's own comments about the Newcastle disasters....and past experience
about the fires circling Sydney (in central coast/blue mountains) a few years
ago....perhaps that lead to improvements in NSW.

The comments about the Websites, were based on what I posted to link during the
Victorian Heat Wave.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz