[LINK] National Emergency Alert System (was ABC Mobile Web Site Failed Accessibility Test

Michael Skeggs mike@bystander.net mskeggs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 13:07:51 AEDT 2009

> <snip>
>
> 702 is broadcast over a very large range. The problem is the granularity that is
> required for emergency information:
>
> I think this is the kind of info that is needed:
>
> People in L, S and S: please prepare for evacuation. X Rd and Y rds are blocked
> blocked at?? Please do not use your vehicle and rally at the bus stop/pub.
>
> Marghanita

I think ABC local radio almost does this. I heard streets named in
Kurrajong last week that were being evacuated due to a fire near a
welding tank. Certainly they do traffic reports that offer that level
of granularity (a burst water main on Station St, Police are diverting
cars along Railway Parade etc.).
I suspect the issue is in getting the specific information to the
radio in an accurate and timely fashion.
Regards,
Michael Skeggs