[LINK] the Bill Henson 'mistake' - Conroy

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Fri Mar 27 19:42:47 AEDT 2009

At 07:17 PM 27/03/2009, Kim Holburn wrote:
>He didn't address a lot of the other issues like the gambling sites on
>the ACMA list.  Were the gambling sites R-rated?  His argument that
>the first lists weren't ACMA's has been addressed elsewhere: It seems
>like the ACMA list has had a lot of sudden housecleaning.

The other aspect that no one on the panel, not just Conroy, didn't
debate is the compulsory nature of this. Conroy kept saying that the
leaked list has been in place for 9 years. I kept screaming at the
screen: So What?!? That's not the point at all. Yes, it makes the
Opposition weak on this whole issue since "they started it". But no
one [Steve Fielding] is holding the ALP's feet to the fire to extend
the current system to the entire population without recourse.

I guess one could get away with a 'hidden' list that only affected
those who chose to be restricted by it. But it's when the hidden list
is applied to the entire population that the game changes drastically.

I'm afraid by the approach he took of saying they're interested in
creating a proper process as if this is a fait accompli and the
population had better get used to it. It's another 'change the
problem' to something other than the basic question: should this be
pursued at all?

I thought it was funny that he applied Moore's Law as a reason for
doing this testing. I would say to the Minister the old chestnut we
all know and love: just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I'm
sure the snakeoil salesmen aren't providing that message. In fact,
they are probably saying: because you can, you should. Of course
those salesmen are doing that for the $$$$. Reminds me of the advice
by Deep Throat in All the President's Men: follow the money.

Vigilance still required on this one, I'm afraid. I send enough
'scorecard' messages to Fielding, maybe the other Victorians should
start inundating him with more. The man is a sad case, but he holds a
deciding vote. Let him know the consequences at his next election
time. He seems to pay attention when his job's on the line, a la the
recent possibility of a double dissolusionment (sic).

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/