[LINK] USDAFoodSafety is using Twitter.

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Mon Mar 30 10:36:34 AEDT 2009

grove at zeta.org.au wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>

>>> Hey there! USDAFoodSafety is using Twitter.
>>> Twitter is a free service that lets you keep in touch with people
>>> through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple
>>> question: What are you doing? Join today to start receiving
>>> USDAFoodSafety's updates.
>> <http://twitter.com/USDAFoodSafety>
>
> Is Twitter actually useful or is it a stealth method to get punters to
> sign up, ultimately leading to mass spam, mind control and ultimate
> cyberisation?
>
> Most of the stuff I have seen referenced by Twitter appears to be mind
> numbingly boring guff,
> viral marketing ploys or peripherally topical in the sphere of interest.
>
> I do not consider myself old fashioned, but I am slow to adopt
> technologies that appear to be redundant.   Twitter doesn't bring
> anything to (my) table except more online pesterisation.
>
> I think it should've been called "blowey" or "mozzie" instead.

<snip>

The <http://www.usda.gov> seem to have chosen Twitter in preference to providing
an RSS feed. Perhaps it says more about the Governance of ICT within the
organisation - than suitability of Twitter. Maybe Twitter was achievable by
bypassing the organisation. Certainly Youtube, Facebook and Myspace have been
used as "free" options.

It is also interesting that the Whitehouse is now promoting Adobe Flash on their
website:
> A New Strategy for Afghanistan and Pakistan
> Viewing this video requires Adobe Flash Player 8 or higher. Download the free player.
>

> download .mp4 | also available here | read the transcript
<http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/09/03/27/A-New-Strategy-for-Afghanistan-and-Pakistan/>

One wonders if they have considered Ogg:
<http://www.fsf.org/resources/formats/playogg>

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz