[LINK] USDAFoodSafety is using Twitter.

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Mon Mar 30 19:40:42 AEDT 2009

On 30/03/2009, at 6:36 PM, grove at zeta.org.au wrote:
> But the reality is somewhere a line has to be drawn where
> you can only really get on top of some of the branches in
> technology, not all.
>
> I guess what has happened is I've had to forgo the commodity
> user experience as I take on the high end - I don't mean to
> sound snobbish but that is the only way I can describe it.
> It all eats just too many cycles... [snip]
>
> Twitter and social networking etc is just something I can't
> put those extra cycles into, when I already have a full online
> life and a real one too ;)

I find this interesting. I think it confuses the activity (staying in
touch with the people and organisations which matter to you) with the
tool (social networking, Twitter etc).

As an analogous statement....

"Typing and word processing are things I just can't put those extra
cycles into, when I already have a full day of writing."

The new tools are precisely what enable you to "do more" in the
limited time (cycles) you have available.

Yes, it takes time to learn the new tool, and that's time on top of
your existing commitments -- at least until you see the savings from
using the new tool. Now obviously there's a "business case" here. Will
the time saved or the efficiencies gained outweigh the cost of
learning the new way of doing things? For some people, for some
circumstances, for some tools or methods, the answer will obviously be
"No". So stay with what you're doing.

That first sentence from me single out Twitter, but only because it
happens to be the trigger-word in this discussion. That specific
messaging service may or may not be relevant in a year, or two, or
five, or ten, or fifty. But the people whose job or hobby it is to
explore the bleeding edge are reporting that Something Special is
happening with this one. I agree with them, for many reasons. I'm NOT
a bleeding-edge adopter (by their standards), and yet this Twitter
thing has become an integral part of my workflow. And I think most
linkers will agree I tend to the... cynical.

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia