[LINK] Do It Yourself?

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Tue Mar 31 18:40:18 AEDT 2009

> -----Original Message-----
> From: link-bounces at mailman1.anu.edu.au
> [mailto:link-bounces at mailman1.anu.edu.au] On Behalf Of
> stephen at melbpc.org.au
> Sent: Tuesday, 31 March 2009 12:03 PM
> To: link at anu.edu.au
> Subject: Re: [LINK] Do It Yourself?
>

> Tom writes,

Actually - Stephen - that was off list..... Didn't want to bore Linkers
with old BBS....

> > HAA! I knew I had seen that name before...... I think I wrote about
> Tom writes
>
> > your BBS in Issue 5 or 6 of Chips and Bits Magazine in 1993 .......
>
> That was a very good magazine. I remember it well. Cutting edge stuff.
>
> So it was you Tom :) And you did. Ta again for that. And,
> Prof Bernard Holkner out at Monash uni arranged a BB Fidonet
> feed, (store & forward node-to-node style email) and
> supervised the IT masters and supplied a dial in vax account
> so our school also had the first Aussie school web pages,
> which he will confirm. Sorry boring Link like this, but all
> you IT high flyers can be proud of how 'your' Aussie schools
> were, and are, serving your kids well. Some of our student
> computer club kids are now also IT high-flying, so one hears,
> with Bernard, Monash etc continuing the good work. Whilst on
> this topic, some of the smartest IT people in your local area
> will be the IT manager for your local school, guys. We are
> working hard for YOU, and your kids, and for all Australia.
> Your $ in tax for teaching staff and equipment are indeed
> well spent. Thanks.

And it (Chips N Bits) now has its own Wikipedia entry at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chips_'n_Bits_Magazine
Which I will add to - time permitting. Chips and Bits did some
interesting articles on the Early BBS days (iiNet Adam) and a few
others.

And if any Linkers have any copies of Chips N Bits issue 1 through issue
5 - I would dearly like to hear from you.
I lost my paper copies in the various moves.

One day I will put up Wikipedias for Internet Australasia and one or two
other little ventures I started. Some of it is even interesting.

Tom