[LINK] Forum on high speed bandwidth in Australia

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Tue May 5 13:57:12 AEST 2009

On Tue, May 05, 2009, Pia Waugh wrote:

> > The national network would provide a real boost for local services and
> > locally hosted services if the cost model is done right.  If it's a flat
> > rate, it will make for faster contention on the US links.
>
> I totally agree. Would you mind reporting your 2c on the comments of the
> blog post so it can be compiled into the briefing paper. I also think there
> are opportunities for local industry with faster networks.

Please note "would" and "may" are seperate things.

If the national network is not built cost effective for providing localised
services by hosting providers (and -not- content producers and ISPs) then
there's going to be no real motivation for ISPs to charge any differently.

Whats the point of having fibre to the home if I'm still charged on volume?
Oh wait, I'll be able to download some games and watch IP TV subscriptions;
great for the average user but useless for innovation and growth in the
Australian technology areas.

Please remember the "original" complains the ISPs in the 90s had (some of
which have grown up to be large telco's themselves) with Telecom and
Telstra - their pricing model and usage restrictions stymed technological
and social innovation. I'd like to see these restrictions categorically
denied through legislation in any new government funded network layout
or we risk the same happening here.

2c,

Adrian