[LINK] Forum on high speed bandwidth in Australia

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Fri May 8 10:38:53 AEST 2009

On 08/05/2009, at 10:27 AM, Stilgherrian wrote:

> Sometimes I feel that quite a few Linkers choose to turn off all their
> browser feature

I'm with you on this one, Stil - though the wheel analogy might not
work here. Perhaps a better analogy is that most modern cars have air-
conditioning (a non-essential feature), and that we are travelling in
very hot times, so the use of air-conditioning, whilst not mandatory,
can affect your travelling experience.

Ultimately, the anti-javascript camp will attempt to justify that it
is a security weakness, not required for most browsing, etc - but they
are fighting those who actually use and enjoy javascript, and accept
that whilst it isn't perfect, it delivers a richer experience. Not to
mention developers who use it and make sites work better because of it.

It's odd, since most Linkers don't seem to object when they need to
load a new plugin or work out how to view video, etc (none of which is
supported by an out-of-the-box browser, yet javascript is, and is
turned on by default).

<ducking for cover>

iT