[LINK] Clouded Vision

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Sat May 16 10:33:21 AEST 2009

On 16/05/2009, at 10:20 AM, Jan Whitaker wrote:
> But you're right about anyone being silly to trust their
> unrecoverable data to a third party like that. These should only be
> backup storage, not primary. Reminds me, I should backup my blog. :-)

So where, exactly, are your life's savings right now? And do you have
a backup?

While there's lessons in here about interdependency and the like, I do
tend to counter the "data in the cloud is perilous" meme with the
counter-argument, which is that professional data centres are far more
likely to be taking better care of your data than you do at home or in
a small office.

It's just that when a big player fails, a lot of people are affected
at once and it makes news. Whereas every day there are thousands of
little business experiencing disasters because a server wasn't backed
up here, an MYOB file there, a PC infected with a virus over there --
potentially having FAR greater impact on each of those businesses. But
all that happens invisibly, because Joan Smith Shoes in Oonagalabie
West losing a month's bookkeeping data isn't news.

Numbers please, everyone! Verified numbers what we can analyse!

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia