[LINK] Clouded Vision

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sat May 16 10:42:27 AEST 2009

At 10:33 AM 16/05/2009, Stilgherrian wrote:
>So where, exactly, are your life's savings right now? And do you have
>a backup?

Unfair. Those holders are regulated [well, we thought they were --
risk was always present in terms of investments] environments. Are
you suggesting that 'cloud computing' environments are so regulated?
I don't think so.

What is the liability if the off-site storage goes out of business? I
doubt there is any. Tough luck.

Yes, 'money' or value is data, sure, but it isn't the same as your
photos or your last novel or whatever 'lost' through malfeasance or
even an act of God. The storage company takes no responsibility.

I don't disagree with you about the differences in levels of
attention to backup. But as the article said, they aren't all at
equal level in terms of how they behave. And hyping the idea of 'give
us your data and get it from anywhere' is only half the story. It
should be promoted as a possible THIRD backup option, certainly not
the primary or Only. No need for numbers on a common sense first
order principle.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com