[LINK] Green web servers with netbook components

David Lochrin dlochrin at d2.net.au
Wed May 20 11:23:12 AEST 2009

On Wednesday 20 May 2009 08:43, Tom Worthington wrote:
> It seems very odd that someone would take an application designed
> for a single user operating system (such as old Microsoft Windows)
> and try to virtualize it. The obvious thing to do instead is to get a
> version of the application designed to run on a multi-user,
> multitasking operating system and then run that on a multi-user,
> multi-taking operating system.

This also allows much easier system & database management.

Please pardon a dumb question, but is there a Microsoft approved way for remote users to access the Windows GUI of a virtualised Windows application?  If not, surely this complicates support?

I imagine the official line is that the application should run in a supposedly multi-user multi-tasking O/S such as XP or Vista.  However I'd question the extent of the dependency between server & client O/S and Microsoft's .net technology, not to mention security issues.

David