[LINK] Cheap solution for security

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Wed May 27 13:22:05 AEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 11:29 +1000, Paul Brooks wrote:
> Karl Auer wrote:
> > He's made a specially shaped peephole
> >
> I wonder how it will cope with the on-screen pattern scaling to
> different sizes on different monitors and resolution settings.
> Something that might display as (say) 1cm high and 4 cm long on my
> desktop screen may be half that physical size on my nettop, and double
> the size on my kids PC with a lower resolution setting to make the icons
> larger.

If sub-pixel sizes were necessary, that would be a problem. I suspect
the simplest way would be to display two or three sizes every time, the
customer just picks the best one. Or (since it will be an image) let the
customer just scale it (CTL-+ and CTL-- in firefox, for example). Or
make the display size personalisable on the site. Moving the card
towards and away from the screen would allow some fine-tuning, in a
limited range.

A bigger difficulty may be that this technology is definitively useless
for the vision-impaired. I mean, you could do the same thing with
Braille, but the card would have to be as big as a dining table :-)

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)

GPG fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF