[LINK] P2P study: Music crackdown is bad for business

Antony Barry antonybbarry at gmail.com
Wed May 27 17:53:54 AEST 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Kim Holburn <kim at holburn.net> wrote:

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/13/long_tail_p2p/
>

> It's quite likely that the long tail is wrong but I think there are
> technological and statistical factors skewing the data as I've said
> before.  I wonder if someone has done a similar analysis of say amazon
> books.

Highly skewed power law distributions occur  all over the place. In science
journals it is the Brandford distribution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford%27s_law. A similar patter occurs in
loans in a library which is most extreme in research libraries. The bulk of
loans are for high use course related titles while two thirds of the
collection might never be borrowed over a period of decades

Tony

--
Phone:02 6241 7659, Mobile:04 3365 2400, Skype:antonybbarry
Email:tony at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au <Email%3Atony at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au>,
antonybbarry at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/people/Antony-Barry/1386242004
http://tony-barry.emu.id.au