[LINK] WinXP problem survey

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Sun Nov 1 00:57:54 AEDT 2009

Link Survey

For the next little time, and for those still running WinXp, may one ask
that if you experience any unusual problems with WinXP, could you let me
know? I seek cross-section examples regards when/what 'unusual' problems
you suddenly strike in the near future with Windows XP operating systems.

Rationale:

Up till not long after the last WinXP update this WinXP machine has been
rock-solid. Completely flawless in operation, and, performance. But now,
that is, after that last Microsoft Windows Auto-Update, I've experienced
very unusual problems with WinXP and involving starting in safe mode etc.

I've not installed any new hardware or software, nor has one changed any
system settings at all. No need. But now, it's acting up. Several system
scans, with both AVG and Sophos, and also Ad-Aware, reveal no dodgy down
loads. In fact, I NEVER download anything to this machine and that's why
I use my ISP's webmailer. Nothing downloaded & AVG even tells one if web
sites are 'safe' to browse. Nothing except the recent Microsoft up-dates.

Now over the years I have consistently noticed that when a new Microsoft
Operating System is available, shortly after I have tended to experience
unusual problems with an existing OS and on otherwise reliable computers.

(Thinks) If I was a big OS corporation, with a recent stinker OS version
which has been largely ignored, I'd be a little concerned to see that my
most recent new follow-up OS product was hugely & immediately successful.
Seeing that I am regularly, and automatically allowed to 'update' system
files on my exiting old OS product, and i already have a dodgy rep, then
why not make sure my new product is suddenly seen as vital shortly after
its release? An 'oh-oh, must have xxxx' situation will surely do wonders
for business, and hence our share price, and hence our next Shareholders
Annual Meeting. So if we make our most recent Auto-Update the largest by
far, on record, and, so that no-one takes a very close line-by-line peek
we might actually, and very readily, do ourselves a huge favour .. and..

Hence .. any recent, and unusual, problems anyone?

Note please, keep the 'get a real OS' jibes for another time colleagues.
And yes I've rolled back my machine to just prior the recent update and
disabled auto-update. And yes I will be super-cautious re sites browsed!

Cheers,
Stephen