[LINK] Google Dashboard

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Fri Nov 6 18:33:41 AEDT 2009

At 05:19 AM 6/11/2009, Roger Clarke wrote:
>------------------
>Google Dashboard lifts curtain on stored data
>------------------

More on this from someone who's been watching:
http://michaelzimmer.org/2009/11/05/google-dashboard-convenient-yes-transparency-choice-and-control-not-so-much/

UPDATE: Others agree with my assessment of
Dashboard.
<http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/googles_privacy_dashboard_a_good_start_but_still_l.php>ReadWriteWeb
notes that “Google’s Privacy Dashboard Doesn’t
Tell Us Anything We Didn’t Know Before”, while
<http://mashable.com/2009/11/05/google-privacy-dashboard/>Mashable
recognizes that “Dashboard is nothing more than a
selected list of privacy-related settings”. And
<http://fredstutzman.com/>Fred Stutzman correctly
observes in the comments below that “By creating
this interface, Google gets to functionally
define the “sense” of information
collection/retention. That is, their sense of the
boundaries of collection will be informed by the
interface. But
this interface minimizes the true
extent of data retention.” Indeed.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com

Our truest response to the irrationality of the
world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth.
~Madeline L'Engle, writer