[LINK] More on OS advertising patents

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Tue Nov 17 10:23:23 AEDT 2009

Kim Holburn wrote:
> I don't see how this is patentable except in a bizzaro world [(c) DC
> comics]*.  I seem to remember Eudora had a mode that effectively did
> this.  If you were using it in (non-paid) adv mode it would whinge at
> you if you covered up the annoying advert with another window.  I'm
> pretty sure I remember this around 1998 which would be prior art by a
> good margin.

and Google/Amazon and other Advertising
programs - which insert content into
webpages and presumeably Google Apps.

Though I have noticed there is one or a
few of the
online IT mags that "loads" an advertisment
before you can read any content. I tend
to abort
the visit to the site.

And where should we position the default
configuration of browsers to use
specific search engines or the default
signature "Sent from my iPhone"
(though I don't believe there is any free
or reduced cost to the user for this
advertisement)

and frighteningly, over 20 years ago,
I implemented "advertising" which provided
"tips/news" which distracted users while
the  software
package loaded. Then the users
complained the
package loaded too quickly and they
didn't have
time to read my message, so, I had to
implement
the ability to hit return, once they had
read the
message, to jump into the application.

This could be akin to the annoying
paper clip/training info around in a